Friday Five: 5 Easy Resolutions for a Healthier 2018

It’s Friday, so I’m linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for the Friday Five 2.0. The theme this week is goals and New Year’s Resolutions. I shared mine last week, so I’m sharing some tips from a cool flyer that we created for my job. These easy resolutions are nutrition related and are based on this article by Bobby Maknoon, RD.

1. Eat More Fruits and Veggies. Make small changes like taking a piece of fruit with you to work or adding spinach to your eggs. My CSA closed down but Kristin referred me to Imperfect Produce. They fight food waste by “finding homes for ugly produce.” They source from farms and deliver produce directly to you at a low cost. You can even customize what you receive. Get $10 off your first order with this link.

2. Drink More Water. Drinking more water helps your body with a variety of functions like proper digestion and healthy skin. Buy a reusable water bottle and refill it throughout the day. Extra points – add lemon!

3. Skip Sugary Drinks. Sugar-sweetened drinks add extra calories without adding nutrition. Also, sugar in liquid form is absorbed faster by your body. Skip the empty calories and sugar crashes by drinking water or unsweetened tea instead. Beware of coffee drinks, too. They can be calorie bombs! I stick with black or a small amount of almond milk or coconut milk.

4. Pack Your Lunch More Often. Foods at restaurants often have high amounts of sodium and come in very large portions. Packing your lunch helps to reduce the amount of sodium and calories you eat. Plus, you’ll save a lot of money! I’ve been eating awesome soups and smoothies from Daily Harvest. The soups especially are great for lunch (with a salad or small sandwich) if you have a freezer in our office. [Get 3 free cups on your first order with this link.]

5. Sit Down to Eat (and Stop Eating While Working/at Your Desk). Eating on the run and on the fly messes with your hunger cues. Sit down and savor your food. Eat slowly. You’ll feel more satisfied and be less likely to overeat. This is one that I really need to work on!

What easy tips or swaps have helped you? Please leave them in the comments.

Have a great weekend!

PS. Don’t miss my great giveaways.

Please note: This post contains affiliate links for Imperfect Produce and Daily Harvest. If you use these links, I will receive credits for future orders.

1. I keep telling my husband that he has to make sure he sits down to eat lunch and not do it on the run. Goodtips!

2. This year I am leaning towards not eating so much meat and instead eating more vegetables. I slacked on the water these past two weeks but will get back on it when I go back to work.

I looked into the soups from Daily Harvest. While I think $7.75 is a bit high for it, I am sure it is much healthier and better than what I eat for lunch.

3. Amanda says:

I’ve been wanting to try imperfect produce! What do you think so far? 😊

4. Christine Frech says:

Great tips, and easy to incorporate, too!

5. I eat and work at my desk every day, but at least I’m sitting!

Thanks for linking up!

Water! Yes! It also has the benefit of getting you up out of your chair to go to the potty every hour or so. When you get up, go to the bathroom that’s furthest away, then get yourself another drink of water. It’s a system I’ve used for years.

These seem so simple and yet? I blow them off too often. I finally started planning/prepping meals and that has been a game changer.

I love all of these!! I think prepping everything (fruits/veggies/snacks) really helps me to eat healthier and make healthier choices!! Also prepping meals!!

9. Liz says:

I have been absolutely failing at drinking enough water lately! Such a good reminder!

10. Dana Rodriguez says:

This is a great list. I love it! We already try to do these.Happy New Year!

11. Nicci Randall says:

These are really great (and easy) tips. I’ve been starting my day with 2-3 cups of water and it’s making a big difference in my day. I’ll try the eat lunch away from work/sitting down today – I can definitely do that one more!

12. Alyse says:

Oh my gosh, thank you, a list I can tackle and feel successful tackling. 🙂

Not eating at my desk is a HUGE one for me. I think I’ll start there!

13. Great tips for a healthy 2018! I definitely need to drink more water.

14. Jamie King says:

I need to get better about sitting down to eat, I’m so bad about that! Great tips, thank you!

15. Amy D says:

Drink more water is one of the resolutions that is at the top of my list. I workout everyday and sweat a lot.

16. Some of these mirror mine. I am brown bagging it from now on. Even eating “healthier” options on the go at some restaurants gets expensive, plus worrying about cross contamination….not worth it. Imperfect Produce sounds great; will give it a look. I got the Instant Pot and am starting the Whole30 to reset my holiday-stricken body. I’m trying to quit the occasional soda cold turkey and drink more water/herbal tea. Good luck on your resolutions. You can do it!

Great job! I used to drink tons of diet soda. I quit cold turkey and then changed my thinking to “I don’t drink that…” instead of “I can’t have that…” it works!

17. Wendy says:

These are easy to do! I always bring my lunch to work–sometimes I don’t even get a break for lunch, so that way I can eat at my desk.

18. Farrah says:

I’m sorry to hear that your CSA closed down, but that’s awesome about Imperfect Produce! i came across a juice company I really liked that makes delicious juice using that same philosophy! 😛 Imperfect doesn’t deliver to my area yet, but fingers crossed that they will soon! In the meantime, I guess I’ll just tell my friends in SF about it, hehehe.

19. […] 5 Easy Resolutions for a Healthier 2018 […]

20. Leslye says:

Good goal suggestions! Definitely need to do a few of these 👍

One of our stores her in town already does a form of ‘imperfect produce’ they call it ‘ugly produce’I buy all potatoes that way as well as squash onions and fruits. There is nothing wrong with it at all.