Is it your New Year’s Resolution to start running? Let me help you! I’ve been running for more years than I’d like to mention. I’m going to share some tips to help you get started on the right foot. Pun intended. This post is sponsored by Mizuno via my relationship with Fitfluential. We all want you to love running as much as we do!
1. Be realistic about your fitness. The fastest way to get injured or to bail on your resolution is to do too much too fast. If you are starting from low to no mileage, start with a beginner program like the Couch to 5K. It works! Or see if there is a beginner running clinic or group at your local running store and check it out.
2. Find a buddy. The very best way to start running and keep at it is to enjoy running with your friends. The thing I love the best about running is all of the wonderful friends I’ve made. Also, if it’s cold where you live, you’re more likely to go outside if a friend is waiting for you.
3. Get the right gear for winter. I live in Chicago and people ask how I can stand running in winter. I love running in the cold temps. I have all of the layers plus thermal compression socks and many levels of gloves and mittens. Put some winter running gear on your holiday wish list!
4. Set a goal. A goal doesn’t have to be a race, but a race can be a great goal. You can also set the goal to run a certain number of miles without stopping or a certain number of miles per week. Whatever it is, set a goal! Work on it and celebrate your success.
5. Get fitted for shoes at a running store. Having the right shoes is KEY to success. I’m a neutral runner and I have a long history with Mizuno Wave Riders. They recently launched version 21. I started wearing them somewhere around version 6, I think. Wave Riders have been steadily in my rotation for the last decade or more. As a Fitfluential Ambassador, I was offered the opportunity to try the new Wave Rider 21.
Wave Rider 21s are super comfortable and have a nice cushioned ride like the 20 (review). They are very responsive and have a breathable mesh shell. These shoes are great for long runs and short runs. They’re a great option for veteran and new runners that have a neutral gate.
Have you tried Wave Riders? This is a great one to try! Don’t wait! Grab a pair of Wave Rider 21s!
Please note: This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Mizuno. The opinions and text are all mine.