5 Ways For New Runners to #RunResponsibly This Winter!

Is it your New Year’s Resolution to start running? Let me help you! I’ve been running for more years than I’d like to mention. I’m going to share some tips to help you get started on the right foot. Pun intended. This post is sponsored by Mizuno via my relationship with Fitfluential. We all want you to love running as much as we do!

1. Be realistic about your fitness. The fastest way to get injured or to bail on your resolution is to do too much too fast. If you are starting from low to no mileage, start with a beginner program like the Couch to 5K. It works! Or see if there is a beginner running clinic or group at your local running store and check it out.

Just a few of my awesome running buddies – helping me test my Wave Rider 21s!

2. Find a buddy. The very best way to start running and keep at it is to enjoy running with your friends. The thing I love the best about running is all of the wonderful friends I’ve made. Also, if it’s cold where you live, you’re more likely to go outside if a friend is waiting for you.

I took my Wave Rider 21s for a spin on our last warm weekend!

3. Get the right gear for winter. I live in Chicago and people ask how I can stand running in winter. I love running in the cold temps. I have all of the layers plus thermal compression socks and many levels of gloves and mittens. Put some winter running gear on your holiday wish list!

4. Set a goal. A goal doesn’t have to be a race, but a race can be a great goal. You can also set the goal to run a certain number of miles without stopping or a certain number of miles per week. Whatever it is, set a goal! Work on it and celebrate your success.

My running store recommends neutral, cushioned shoes for me!

5. Get fitted for shoes at a running store. Having the right shoes is KEY to success. I’m a neutral runner and I have a long history with Mizuno Wave Riders. They recently launched version 21. I started wearing them somewhere around version 6, I think. Wave Riders have been steadily in my rotation for the last decade or more. As a Fitfluential Ambassador, I was offered the opportunity to try the new Wave Rider 21.

Wave Rider 21s are super comfortable and have a nice cushioned ride like the 20 (review). They are very responsive and have a breathable mesh shell. These shoes are great for long runs and short runs. They’re a great option for veteran and new runners that have a neutral gate.

You can find out more and buy some Wave Riders here. You can keep up with Mizuno Running on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Have you tried Wave Riders?Β This is a great one to try! Don’t wait! Grab a pair of Wave Rider 21s!

Please note: This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Mizuno. The opinions and text are all mine.

1. I haven’t tried the Wave Rider 21s but I have the Wave Sky and love them- they are a neutral shoe but a bit cushier and heavier than the Wave Riders. I love the color of those shoes so I might have to check them out- since I can only run in neutral shoes as well.

2. Jamie King says:

Running with friends has always been the best motivator for me – great tips, Erica!

3. Farrah says:

These are all really great tips that I’m trying to implement right now (I have zero winter running gear, ahahaha). It’s definitely nice to have a running buddy + a goal to work toward!

4. I love this post – such great advice! I totally agree about starting out slow and being honest with yourself about your fitness level. And having a friend to run with gets you out there on days that you wouldn’t otherwise workout.

5. Alyse says:

These are all essential tips – I started with Couch to 5K and it’s such a great program! I now have a pace-matched buddy that I run with and it’s the best motivator to get me out the door. πŸ™‚

6. Liz says:

These are great tips! I’ve now lived in two places with pretty harsh climates, and having the right gear is imperative! And having buddies are the best way for me to motivate to get out and get my miles in. Love it!

7. Nicci Randall says:

Goals, gear, and friends. These tips are definitely going to keep me moving in those freezing temsp! Thanks for the motivation!

Yes, yes, YES to finding the correct shoes. It might seem dorky, but find a bench at the shoe store, camp out and try on a million pairs. Walk around and around the shoe store aisles. Try on the same ones more than once to compare how they feel against some of the other ones. Pay attention to how they feel against your feet, support your arches, how you like the cushioning, etc. Do this every time you need a new pair, since the brands change them every year and even the same style you got before may not fit exactly the same. I found out the hard way how important it is to wear the right shoes. Great suggestion!

9. Great tips! I agree that getting the correct shoes is so important! It’s really helped me. Running buddies also make things more fun πŸ™‚

10. Carlee McDot says:

I love all of these tips and tricks! Running should be FUN! If it’s not, maybe that’s not the right exercise for you… Find what you love and have a BLAST!

I am in the Midwest too. I think one of the trickiest parts is finding a place that isnt icy. They just dont clear snow/ice off well. I am a jogger nowdays and will walk/jogmore than anything. I will resort to the ice cleats after falling backwards a few times.

LOVE this!! I actually have considered starting running since my fitness is often needing to be done in the studio which just isn’t condusive to my life all the time! I teach pole fitness on Fridays but I would love a way to stay active and in shape that I can include my son and do from home and in my neighborhood! Thanks for the awesome tips!

13. I have a hard time staying motivated to run in the winter when it I see so cold. Thank goodness for treadmills. I am a wimp in cold weather.