Friday Five: Finally Fall Runfessions

It’s Friday, so I’m linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for Friday Five 2.0. The last Friday of the month is a “free” day, so I’m doubling down and linking up with Marcia for September “Runfessions,” too! Runfessions are running truths or “where runners bare their souls and soles.”

1. I runfess… I’m running the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon on Sunday. Why is this a runfession and not a fact? Well, I haven’t exactly mentioned it much. Initially, I signed up to pace with Jen who’s coming back from having her second baby. My running has been pretty off all year. Now, I may struggle to keep up. But, you know what? It’s OK. Whatever happens, I will be with a good friend and am grateful to be able to participate. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

2. I runfess… My number for the Milwaukee Lakefront Marathon is 13. I’m one part freaked out and one part psyched. It’s kind of unlucky and kind of cool. It reminds me of the 1999 NY Marathon when I was number 666. I got tons of cheers because my shirt read “Go Erica, Run Like Hell.” Sadly, this was before digital cameras and social media so I don’t have a photo handy!

Strangely, mid-morning Orlando heat seemed OK after last weekend in Chicago.

3. I runfess… The heat last weekend totally sapped the life out of me and made me want to quit running. I try to have a positive attitude but I am not built for running in the heat. Some people are great at it. A few of my friends crushed the Chicago Half last weekend. I seem to do worse as time goes on. Sad, but true.

4. I runfess… Since I’ve been doing less training this summer, I’ve really dropped the ball on fueling and hydration strategy. I have all of the things AND know all the things… I just have to DO all the things.

Runn Chicago relay for Chicago Run! Not a race but a fun challenge for a good cause.

5. I runfess… This is the first year in many years when I didn’t run a single race in August OR September AND I enjoyed it. I did some fun running events like a treadmill relay at Runn Chicago and other cool stuff. But no races. Hopefully this will translate into good runs in Milwaukee and NYC.

Do you have anything to runfess? Please tell me in the comments.

Have a great weekend!

PS. Don’t miss my great giveaways!

1. Kimberly G says:

I never run race sin August because it’s just too damn hot, lol. That’s the one rule I have no problem following when it comes to my race calendar.

I’m sure you will have great runs in Milwaukee and NYC. I hope I get to see you next weekend in Chicago!

2. I hope you have a great race on Sunday! 🙂

3. Amy Scott says:

I am also sick of the heat and being slower no matter how hard I try. Summer has outlasted its welcome everywhere.

For race numbers, my friend had 69 once and it was hilarious, and another runner friend had 666 for the same race. The timing company knows some of the locals personally and will give them the numbers they want. My friend had “86” once and got paranoid because that’s restaurant lingo for when an item is off the menu.

4. Alyse says:

Oh my gosh, what an epic combination of race number and t-shirt you had in 1999! That’s such a crazy coincidence – hopefully the number 13 will also bring you some good stories (and definitely photos this time around!).

5. Dapinder says:

I love these runfessions, and I runfess, the heat is NOT my favorite either! So looking forward to cooler temps and faster, less punishing speeds. 🙂

6. Jamie King says:

Ahh, 13 is a lucky number, I think it’s good! You’ll do awesome this weekend. Just drink lots, and stay positive! You got this, girl.

7. Nicci Randall says:

Heyyy, my race number last weekend was 13 ;-). Turned out to be a great number! I so wish you had a pic from the NY marathon, haha!

Good luck this weekend – you’ve got this!!

8. jen says:

I am SOOO thrilled to have you joining me this weekend!

Have a great race and enjoy! Hopefully the cool weather will stick around for you. I’m right there with you on hot running. Mucho no bueno. Hilarious bib numbers! Crazy!

10. Good luck this weekend. You are gonna rock this!

11. Ok, now I understand the marathon this weekend. I’m proud of your self control this season–I feel like you’ve just been having fun!
    Good luck this weekend! Either way, I will see you Saturday 😀

12. Amanda C. says:

13 was always my lucky jersey number for middle school soccer! If that doesn’t mean something, I don’t know what does 😉 Good luck lady!!

13. No races for me this August but I”m sneaking in a quick 5K tomorrow morning…totally out of my element to not have much for races on my calendar (recovering from surgery 3 months ago will do that to you) LOL

14. Liz says:

I runfess that the heat and humidity totally makes me want to quit running, too! It’s so demoralizing!

Good luck, number 13! 🙂

I don’t have a runfess but I have a confess! I have been training to become a pole fitness instructor since this summer. I have assessments on Monday and I am totally not prepared. Instead of studying Im on here typing to you lol 😉