Friday Five: 2017 Vacation Bucket List

It’s Friday, so I’m linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for the new Friday Five 2.0. The theme for this week is “dream vacations or winter destinations.” The Husband and I need to plan a vacation for this year, so I’m going to do some brainstorming here. Any additional suggestions or comments are welcome!

1. Argentina and Chile – The Husband and I loved Argentina when we went in 2010. We have good friends who will be there for nine months this year. We would love to go back to see them, visit new places and perhaps check out Chile, too.

2. New Zealand or Australia – This one has been on the bucket list forever, but I feel like we need more time than we may have given current vacation schedules. Also, Wendy is going to see our friend Phaedra who will also be working there this year which has me inspired to learn more (or stow away.)

3. Easter Island – Liv has been talking about a bucket list idea of hers to go to Easter Island to run the Easter Island Marathon to celebrate turning 40. The Husband and I might be convinced to go along (and maybe to pair this with #1 even though they’re not super close.)

4. Iceland – If we wind up short on time, Iceland is an easy trip from Chicago. A bunch of friends have checked it out, too, so we have great recommendations.

5. Italy – The Husband and I have been to Italy only once in the year 2000. We loved Tuscany, Florence and Venice and also saw Milan. We missed Rome so we may do a long weekend there if we run short of vacation days. We also would love to check out the Amalfi Coast, too, for a longer trip.

Which of these would you vote for? Or do you have other suggestions?

Have a great weekend!

PS. Don’t forget my great giveaways!

1. Kimberly G says:

I’ve always wanted to visit Italy!

2. Sarah N says:

Throw a dart at a world map and my response will be “I want to go there!” When I was in the Peace Corps a group of us actually picked a vacation destination this way and ended up in Egypt. Of the places on your list, I vote Australia though I understand the issues with vacation time. My husband has a friend in Australia we want to visit but we feel we need several weeks to make the trip worthwhile.

Oh good I was hoping you’d weigh in on this topic! 😀 Hell yes to all of the above. I agree more time is needed in Australia/NZ.
    I’m working to get something together for Iceland this summer, potentially on the way back from Norway or Scotland.
    Rome would be an excellent long weekend spot. We spent our first anniversary there overlooking the forum. I’d go in the off season so you don’t have the heat and crush of tourists.

4. Andrea. says:

We loved, loved NZ. We did the South Island only and hiked our way through (10 to 12 hours a day). One of the best trips we have taken. We did 2 weeks. Longer would have been nice but it was doable. Australia is farther. My parents did NZ and Australia in the same trip but they had 6 weeks, but that’s retirement!

5. Easter Island would be so intriguing. I love that you thought of that!

6. I have always wanted to visit Italy. So why not kill two birds with one stone and make a racecation out of it. Hopefully one of these years I will be able to check it off my list.

Niccce. We’re still working our way around the US (vacation time, dang it), and I think it’s going to be Austin this year. But if we ever do end up with enough time I’m going to try to talk my husb into Iceland. So exotic!

I vote Easter Island!! Oh and New Zealand!! I have a friend who posted AMAZING vacation pictures from New Zealand that made this girl SO JEALOUS!!!

9. Diane says:

For an easy trip from Chicago, you should check out our fav, Baden Baden, Germany. You and Neil could do the spa scene and you could run along the Rhine River. Heidelberg and Strasbourgh are both nice day trips. Lots of hiking too in the Black Forest. I bet you’d like it.

All your ideas look good too 🙂

10. Farrah says:

Argentina, New Zealand and Iceland are all on my bucket list as well! I hope you get to clear your vacation bucket list sometime! 😀

11. Chris M says:

Naturally you should come to Australia! It’s the best!! Although, I might be biased.

Australia has always looked nice to me but I’d want to go with friends. I’ve only seen it from beautiful pictures though but I’d allow plenty of time to see everything.

13. I saw a couple runners mention Iceland- I am thinking it gets my vote! 🙂 I hope you get there!

14. It’s so much fun reading about everyone’s dream vacations! I am getting so many ideas. Everyone has been mentioning Iceland so I need to look into that one.

15. You have so many good ones and it is hard to pick one. In that case then I would go to all of them.

16. gloria patterson says:

Australia this is on my DREAM WISH List

I don’t care if I could spend 3 days or month there I would climb on that plane to go there in a heatbeat

17. Maryann D. says:

I am Italian so of course I want to see Italy and I know a lot of my relatives have visited there and absolutely loved it!

I would go anywhere there is sunshine and a a beach. My choice would be Australia because of all the varied animals and of course the beaches. I would also love to see New Zealand.

19. Kathy Davis says:

They all sound terrific, but I’ve wanted to go to Italy.

20. Patty Phillips says:

My family wants to go to Spain. Maybe in 2019 when my son graduates from High School

I vote for Iceland — an easy one to tick off. I’m hoping to get there soon myself.