It’s Friday, so I’m linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for the new Friday Five 2.0. This is a “free week” so in light of the date, I’m going to be predictable and go with “5 Resolutions for a Happier 2017.”
5 Resolutions I’m Making for a Happier 2017
1. Sweat the small stuff less. I’m guilty of letting life’s small frustrations get me down. Sometimes, I’m really guilty of this. It’s my number one goal for 2017 to be more patient and to let my frustrations go more easily. I may need some help with this one, so call me out on it if you notice me falling into that trap (virtually or in real life).
2. Stop looking at other people’s papers. As Theodore Roosevelt said, “Comparison is the thief of joy.” It’s easy to lose perspective on an accomplishment when you see that someone else has done it faster, easier or with less (perceived) effort. I sometimes find myself looking at random Instagram feeds to see how fast other people run, where they are and what they are doing. This year, I resolve to compare me to me and to stop comparing myself to others. See an old post on this topic here.
3. Be grateful every day. I am very fortunate and have a richer and fuller life than I ever imagined. My goal for 2017 is to keep a journal of at least one thing I am grateful for each day. At the end of the year, I will have 365 reminders of things I am thankful for. (Hopefully, I’ll have more!)
4. Pay it forward. I’m very good at sharing extra goodies and supporting charitable causes. This year, I would like to spend more time helping people by volunteering and mentoring people at work or in life. I’ve been so lucky to have had good mentors and role models. I want to do more with what I have to offer.
5. Be kinder to myself (and others). Like many people, I can be my own harshest critic. I love the Brene Brown quote “Talk to yourself as you would to someone you love.” This year, I’m going to try to be kinder to myself, more accepting of my flaws and more proud of my successes.
What are your resolutions for a happier 2017? Please leave ideas in the comments.
Wishing you a happy, healthy and fulfilling 2017!