Friday Five: 5 Resolutions for a Happier 2017

It’s Friday, so I’m linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for the new Friday Five 2.0. This is a “free week” so in light of the date, I’m going to be predictable and go with “5 Resolutions for a Happier 2017.”

5 Resolutions I’m Making for a Happier 2017

1. Sweat the small stuff less. I’m guilty of letting life’s small frustrations get me down. Sometimes, I’m really guilty of this. It’s my number one goal for 2017 to be more patient and to let my frustrations go more easily. I may need some help with this one, so call me out on it if you notice me falling into that trap (virtually or in real life).

2. Stop looking at other people’s papers. As Theodore Roosevelt said, “Comparison is the thief of joy.” It’s easy to lose perspective on an accomplishment when you see that someone else has done it faster, easier or with less (perceived) effort. I sometimes find myself looking at random Instagram feeds to see how fast other people run, where they are and what they are doing. This year, I resolve to compare me to me and to stop comparing myself to others. See an old post on this topic here.

3. Be grateful every day.  I am very fortunate and have a richer and fuller life than I ever imagined. My goal for 2017 is to keep a journal of at least one thing I am grateful for each day. At the end of the year, I will have 365 reminders of things I am thankful for. (Hopefully, I’ll have more!)

4. Pay it forward. I’m very good at sharing extra goodies and supporting charitable causes. This year, I would like to spend more time helping people by volunteering and mentoring people at work or in life. I’ve been so lucky to have had good mentors and role models. I want to do more with what I have to offer.

5. Be kinder to myself (and others). Like many people, I can be my own harshest critic. I love the Brene Brown quote “Talk to yourself as you would to someone you love.” This year, I’m going to try to be kinder to myself, more accepting of my flaws and more proud of my successes.

What are your resolutions for a happier 2017? Please leave ideas in the comments.

Wishing you a happy, healthy and fulfilling 2017!

1. I like this! I may just copy it and use it for myself!! 🙂

2. Alison King says:

I think you hit the nail on the head. All 5 resolutions are great. However, sometimes they are easier said than done.

3. I’m doing something similar to your #3! I saw it on Facebook…. every week write down something awesome that happened, then on NYE next year, sit down with a glass of wine and read about all the wonderful stuff that happened!

4. Patty says:

I like being grateful everyday. Focus on the positive.

5. Amy Scott says:

I really like #2, I need to do that as well. I find myself falling into the comparison trap way too much with people who post all their workouts out there. Everyone’s body, workout schedule, and life situations are different. Really the only resolution I have this year is to do more yoga and stretch more!

6. Kim Favor says:

Love this!!! I especially love the Roosevelt quote. It is definitely something I should hang in my house and office. I also bought a gratitude journal over Thanksgiving. Hoping to start it in 2017. Thanks for your inspiration!

7. I love ALL your resolutions! I think we could all benefit from doing some or all of these! Thanks for linking up Erica!

8. Alejandra Carrillo says:

Love these (: another one of mine is to be more positive.

9. Jackie says:

My fave: Don’t sweat the small stuff…it’s ALL small stuff!! SO TRUE!

10. Nik says:

Ah health again needs to be done

11. We need to see more of each other. That needs to happen.

12. julie says:

i totally need to sweat the small stuff less. I definitely need to enjoy the kids more!

I would like to be more present with my husband. We eat dinner together every night, but we’re kind of chatting and doing other things at the same time. I ALWAYS struggle with this one. I should take all the magazines and crossword puzzles out of the kitchen.

My resolution is to go back to school!! I have been stuck in this perpetual life rut and I think finishing my degree and getting a career would really help 🙂

I think I need to reread the small stuff book. I have it but still am not following that rule! Oh well. Maybe the answer lies in having less small stuff. I have been reading about minimalism and really want to make a go of it and start living with less. Less clutter, less to keep track of and store, less to worry about, just less. Less is more, will be my mantra!

16. Maryann D. says:

I try to follow these tips often. I am definitely going to Sweat the small stuff less and be grateful each day. Super ideas. Happy New Year!

17. Kimberly G says:

I really like #3. I think it’s important to focus on what we have in life vs what we don’t have. It makes us so much more grateful for everty thing in the long run!

18. STEPHEN JONES says:

Most of us can be our own worst critic and judge! Some of the things we let bother us or ruin our days aren’t even in our control so why keep going on about it? Can you find something every day to laugh at no matter what? With our daily routines/work/kids/household things/pets and more…do we ever have any fun time for ME? I like to get away from electronics such as computers/tablets/phones and color with crayons-or draw!

19. barbg says:

All good plans it sounds like good for you. I am going to try to lose one pound a week.

20. Zoey says:

These are some very good resolutions. Anyone could benefit from these!

21. lindsey says:

Believe. Endure. Achieve. 🙂

22. Farrah says:

These are all awesome resolutions! I especially like paying it forward though–I feel like it makes the world a better place! 😀

23. Kassie says:

I love this list! Every single thing on this list should be things we’re all doing regularly. Thanks so much for sharing!

24. Lynne B says:

I love #5. In being kinder to yourself, #1 will come naturally.