Friday Five: Our Holiday Traditions

It’s Friday, so I’m linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for the Friday Five 2.0. The theme this week is “Holiday Traditions.” I come from a family that was not too gung ho on holiday celebrations. Luckily, I married into a family that is. Phew! This is the 19th year that I’m joining in the Los Angeles holiday fun with The Husband’s family.

Our Holiday Traditions

1. Go west a few days early to see our nephew and niece and their parents. Most of The Husband’s family lives in Southern/Central California. We head out a few days early to see our nephew (12) and niece (3) before they take their annual trip to Philadelphia for the holidays. It’s so much fun to give them presents and see how they’ve grown.

2. Run for the hills. My in-laws live in a canyon so I take my running to the hills. It’s SO tough for this flatlander, but I love it. Last year I saw some coyotes and a $5000 reward for a lost dog. Got to love LA!

3. See old and dear friends. We have friends from college (mine), business school (his), Chicago (both) and our first jobs (both) in and around LA. We love to see them and their families every year!

Last year with Josh and Erin.

4. See the most depressing movie we can find on Christmas Eve. This is sort of a running joke. It all started when we went with my MIL and step-FIL to see No Country for Old Men on Christmas Eve. Somehow we added Munich, Up in the Air, El Camino among others. Last year we outdid ourselves with Manchester by the Sea. That will be hard to top. Don’t worry, it’s normally followed by a lovely dinner, great conversation and lots of gifts.

5. Huge holiday brunch. On Christmas, my step-MIL and FIL throw a huge brunch with amazing food, friends and family. She is a wonderful hostess, cook and baker. She makes the same food each year so as not to incite a riot. We spend the day doing that and then clean up, open gifts and relax.

I married well – huh?

What are your holiday traditions?

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season and all the best for happiness and health in 2018!

1. Chelsea says:

That’s hilarious that you guys watch those movies on Christmas Eve!! I am all about the unique Christmas traditions!! We always have a cookie decorating competition each year on Christmas Eve! It’s super fun because we’re all not the best of decorators so they come out pretty interesting! At least they taste good though! 🙂

Have a very Merry Christmas!!!!

2. Kimberly G says:

These sound like awesome traditions – AND you get to enjoy nice warm weather for the holidays! 🙂

3. Those sounds like some great traditions. I especially like the idea of a big brunch. Ours vary sometimes year to year, depending on if we decide to travel. Some of my favorites are to get out the decorations the day after Thanksgiving to start decorating the inside of the house and the having a mini-christmas movie marathon that day. We usually try to watch one each night after that. We also have a hot chocolate party with some other families with kids. Pizza, hot chocolate (with adult additions optional), and a christmas movie.

4. Arlinda says:

Opening our Christmas stockings on Christmas eve.

5. Kim Favor says:

Love this! Have an amazing trip.

6. I love the idea of a Christmas brunch! I wish my family did that… we have a cookout. Our biggest tradition is eating chinese food and watching movies on Christmas Eve.

7. Yes, I’d say you did marry well 😉 Our traditions have changed over the years (we lost both of my husband’s parents in 2015), so we don’t really “need” to travel anywhere for the holidays. That makes for a low-key dinner (with my parents) and a relaxing day of movies, etc. (and a morning run for me).

8. Sounds like you are going to be having a busy but fun next few days! It is always a nice change to run in different locations you are not used to. I’m sure the weather will be great out that way!

9. Rachel says:

Sounds like a great holiday! Have lots of fun. I’m jealous of that California sunshine!!

10. Dana Rodriguez says:

These sound like fun traditions! We don’t really have any besides we open gifts on Christmas Eve and I cook a ham on Christmas Day. I hope you had a great Christmas!

11. Amy D says:

We also have a huge holiday brunch. It is such a good way to bring family together. Everyone brings a dish and all the kids play together. It’s the best.

Bahaha!! This is awesome!! Dying about the most depressing movie ever tradition! Totally something hubby and I would do!