Friday Five: My Goals for a Happier, Healthier 2018

It’s Friday, so I’m linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for the Friday Five 2.0. It’s a free week. In the spirit of welcoming the new year, I’m going to share my goals for a happier, healthier 2018.

My Goals for a Happier, Healthier 2018

1. Be grateful for what I can do instead of lamenting what I can’t. I’ve been feeling pretty down about my running this year. I keep comparing my times and paces to previous years. Then, I think of friends who are injured or ill and remember to be grateful for every step. This pertains to other things. I am so fortunate in so many ways and want to practice even more gratitude in 2018.

2. Look at my own paper (a/k/a avoid the comparison trap). It’s so easy to get caught in the comparison trap while checking out Instagram and Facebook every day. It’s important to remember that social media is a highlight reel. They say that “comparison is the thief of joy.” I agree. I’m going to work hard on this one. I got off track on this is 2017.

3. Come at things with a “yes, and” mindset. Not around here, but in “real life,” I can sometimes be a “no, but” person. I can reel off the reasons why not to do something in light speed. It can be counter productive. I’ll be more successful at work and life if I can be more collaborative. The results and recommendations I make may be the same, or similar, but the way I make them can be more positive.

4. Celebrate successes. Like many people, I set goals or challenges and when/if I meet them I immediately set new ones. I want to take more time to appreciate and recognize my success (and those of the people around me.)

5. Stop doing the same old things and expecting different results. With my diet and workout/running and even at work, I fall into the same ruts and traps over and over. I don’t really expect a different outcome. I’m going to spend more time in 2018 evaluating progress and making changes.

What are your goals for a happier, healthier 2018? Please tell me about them in the comments.

I hope that you and yours have a happy and healthy 2018!

1. marie wickham says:

Happy New Year Erica, and I love this list. Can’t wait to run together in 2018!!!

2. I like your goals and have the same. I haven’t been able to run a lot lately, but I am going to OWN my 4 miles yesterday. I’m hoping to build my mileage back in January for a half in February, but I guess we will see. Even if I’m not where I want to be with my health and injuries, I am so much better off than many. Happy New Year to you and wishing you an awesome 2018!!!

3. These are great goals Erica! I can especially relate to #2 and 5.

Wishing you a very happy 2018!

4. Dana Rodriguez says:

I really love your goals. My favorites are 1 and 5. Happy New Year Erica!

5. I am also going to be working on your #1 and #5 both not easy for me to do. Great goals!

Oh yes!! #1!! SO. MUCH. YES!! I really struggle with this and get into a rut of dreaming of things that just are not within my realm mostly due to money and location lol!! I plan to try to make small achievable goals and to stay focused!! I am starting a new job AND going back to school so Im going to be so busy and super stressed but hopefully for the good!

7. Amy D says:

#5 is totally me! I keep doing the same workouts and expect to get better results. I need to switch it up. I also need to switch up my diet!

You go girl! 🙂 Happy 2018! 🙂

8. Kim G says:

I love your goals for 2018. My motto for 2018 will be “Radiate Positivity”. With so many crazy things happening in the world, I really want to spread more positive energy.

9. Wendy says:

Hang out with me! After moaning early last year about what I couldn’t do, I adopted a new attitude and enjoyed everything after that. Do I wish I was as fast as I used to be? Would I still love to BQ? Sure. Am I ever going to stop longing for my speed? Nope. But man, it’s pretty sweet to still be running and at some pretty nice paces for an old lady. Perspective. Hope to connect with you at some races this year!

10. Elaine Agran says:

Wonderful goals, honey. But what did I expect – it’s you! Hope you and Neal have a terrific 2018.
    Love,
    e

Good ones. I really need to be more careful with negativity towards myself, which has been a terrible, lifelong mindset.

That’s a good one! I always think if I had a friend who said the things I think about myself to me, I wouldn’t be their friend anymore! Happy New Year, Erin!

12. Becca says:

I’ve started to use the “yes, and” mindset at work when I encounter stubborn teachers and I find that it is working wonders! I love your #5 – I am going to keep that in mind this year!Happy New Year, Erica!

13. It is so hard not to compare yourself to others, especially on social media. That is one of the reasons I do not have a personal facebook page. I can’t compare if I can’t see it.

14. It is so easy to fall into the comparison trap. I do the same thing. Wishing you a happy and healthy 2018!

15. Christina A. says:

I love all of these! Being more proactive is a big goal of mine for this year–just stop procrastinating and do what needs to get done! It’s not doing me any good just to overthink things too much!

16. susan says:

These are some great goals, thank you! Number 5 is crucial!

17. gloria patterson says:

You did this for your running but I can see a lot of them for me. And I don’t/cannot run but i will be using this