Friday Five: 5 Ways to Stay Fit This Holiday Season

It’s Friday, so I’m linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for the Friday Five 2.0. Last week, I missed “5 Ways to Stay Fit This Holiday Season” so I’m going with that this week.

stay fit Friday 5

Can you tell which Santa is me? Santa Hustle 2011 (Also my 40th b-day)

1. Remember it’s not “all or nothing.” It’s so easy to sleep in when you have extra evening events. If you wake up with only 15 or 20 minutes to spare, don’t just skip exercise for the day. Go for a quick walk, do some sit ups and push ups or do a brief yoga video. If you’ve been around here a while, you know that I LOVE the J&J Official 7 Minute Workout app. It’s an all body weight/household object (think chair) workout. They have the traditional 7 minute workout and a ton of other options from 8 – 24 minutes. No excuses! You can find 7 minutes.

2. Plan ahead. If you’re traveling, check out local running groups/routes or fitness classes or check to see if there’s a gym available. If not, plan for a run, walk or to use workout apps or videos. (See #1) I like to check if there are local races that I can run and enlist family friends to run, walk or cheer. It gets everyone out in the fresh air. We visit my in-laws every Christmas and now their friends know to include us on hikes or bike rides/runs. Also, ask for awesome fitness gear for presents so you will be tempted to use them right away.

3. Exercise in the morning or with friends… or both. If possible, exercise in the morning. Most parties don’t happen before 8 AM – just saying. Have trouble getting up in the morning? Get some friends to join you. It’s much easier to meet morning exercise commitments if there’s someone waiting for you out in the cold! Or, skip a happy hour and try a new fitness studio with some friends instead. You can burn calories and spend time with friends. It’s a win-win!

4. Sign up for an event or fitness challenge. Some years, I plan for a winter marathon. This year, I’m planning to run the NYC Half in March and I know I need to build strength and do more cross training. I also like to sign up for holiday fitness challenges like Coach Jenny’s Holiday Challenge. It’s a 9 week challenge with motivation, support and the chance to win fun prizes for only $15. I need to get motivated with specific goals and challenges- do you?

5. Plan active, non-food centered activities with your friends and family. Get the family to participate in a Turkey Trot or a walking tour. Go caroling, serve a meal to people in need, see a movie, watch a play, get outside and play flag football. You get the picture? Food and drink are rampant over the holidays, so it’s nice to plan to non-food alternatives. If there is a Turkey Trot or Santa Hustle in your town see if you can get folks to walk, run or spectate with you. Make your activity a family tradition – it’s never too late to start.

And if you are traveling during the holidays, don’t miss 10 Ways to Stay Health (and Sane) When You Travel.

What are your tips for staying fit over the holidays?

PS. Don’t forget my great giveaways!

1. Great tips. I guess mine for the next two months will be running around like crazy in the store until January!

2. These are all good ideas- I agree with getting in the morning exercise. Typically that doesn’t conflict with parties or family activities and getting it done early means you’re less likely to back out if you get busy.

3. Alyse says:

These are such great tips. The “it’s not all or nothing” resonated so much with me; some kind of exercise is always better than none!

4. One of the reasons that I REALLY want to be off crutches for the holidays is because we always take walks to have that break from the indoors. Also because I want to eat more pie.

5. Jamie King says:

Such great tips, so important to remember that if you just fit it in, you’ll feel better throughout the holidays. I’m a big believer in just wake up and get it done – even if it’s just something small! Have you tried the Gixo app yet? Another great workout app for fast, efficient workouts!

6. Erica says:

This is awesome! I especially am trying to focus on non-food related activities this year!

7. Liz says:

These tips are so great! Such a good reminder that anything counts, that it doesn’t have to be a crazy insane workout to get the body and blood moving. I love enjoying food, drink, friends, travel for the holidays. And it’s so hard with a mixed up schedule to keep working out, but I enjoy myself so much more if I get my sweat in that day, too!

8. Just keep moving! That’s what helps me during the holidays. Are you doing any races? I’m running the Jingle Bell 5k for arthritis.

9. I’m looking forward to just relaxing during the time of year..lol.

I like your suggestions on activities though because it is hard to find things to do this time of year that doesn’t center around food!

Thanks for linking up!

10. I agree it’s not all or nothing! Even a short workout counts. I need to check out the challenge you mentioned

11. Jessie Mohler says:

These are all great tips . I love the sweets a little too much

These are awesome tips!! For some reason I tend to forget everything normal in my life around the holidays lol!! Starting with Halloween!! Ive already been eating so much candy and I never eat candy!

The all or nothing advice is really important. Thanks for the reminder! Sometimes if the idea of a long workout seems overwhelming, it might be easier to talk myself into a short workout.

14. I plan to take swimming lessons and /or take some fitness classes at the gym. I belong to a nice one that offers a variety of classes.

15. These are great tips! And I follow most of them. 🙂 That’s a super cute pic of all the santas!!!

16. Nicci Randall says:

Great tips and tricks! I have to remind myself to move a little everyday and not to fall into that winter slump! Yoga, fitness apps (I’m loving Gixo right now) and drinking lots of water!

Excellent tips. I have another- get a woodburner. Either your carrying wood, splitting wood or moving wood. I have lost 5 pounds just messing with wood ha!

18. Moll j says:

So true that it’s not “all or nothing.” I often fall into that mindset (trap), and just throw up my hands and say, “welp, guess I can’t exercise today.” But something is always better than nothing!