Friday Five: My First Runfessions

It’s Friday, so I’m linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for Friday Five 2.0. July is a “free” month, so I’m doubling down and linking up with Marcia for the July “Runfessions,” too! Runfessions are running truths or “where runners bare their souls and soles.”

I runfess that… I just realized that the NY Marathon is less than 16 weeks away and I need to start training. Where has the year gone? I really need to get back in the saddle after my cut back the last few months. While I’m runfessing this, I must admit that I’ve enjoyed running less and slacking more. Who would have guessed? Like they say, NY Marathon #18 is not going to run itself, so I need to get to it.

VIP me!

I runfess that… I’m a bit of a hypocrite. I’ve oft bemoaned Rock N’ Roll for driving up race prices across the country for the last 20 years. That said, I runfess that I really dug being a “VIP” and getting a free entry to RnR Chicago a few weeks ago. Special baggage claim and porta potties are no joke. It also helped that the weather was perfect and I had a great time running with Cait, Arielle and Steph. Maybe I’ll stop moaning about RnR but probably not.

I runfess that… I have to add a focus on nutrition and dare I say DIET to my NY Marathon plan. I’ve added back some weight that I lost when I turned 40. I know I run better lighter and feel better when I clean up my diet. I’m not eating all of the bad things, but I need to pay attention to portions and lose some sugar STAT! Looking at race photos this year over last is a wake up call for this runfession!

I runfess that… I like running on the treadmill. I know that’s blasphemy for some runners. I’ve always enjoyed catching up on TV on the ‘mill. I had the chance to try Runner’s High Studio in Old Town this week. The class was called “Elevate Your High” which was basically hills and intervals, and more hills and more intervals, for 40 minutes. Lots of stuff at 5K pace or faster. Ooof! I love trying new things and I’ll definitely check out some of their other classes. I’m also proud of myself for adjusting the pace and elevation as I needed to instead of being a “hero.”

I runfess that… I’ve been a pretty good sport about my racing/running slump. (See my Q2 running recap for more details.) That said, I really do hope that I can get my mojo back at some point. I think I’m super overtrained and I need to take 1 – 2 months off cold turkey from running. I’m going to do that in December and January if things continue on the same trajectory. Maybe sooner!

Do you have anything to runfess? Please tell me in the comments.

Have a great weekend!

PS. Don’t miss my great giveaways!

1. Coco says:

Oh based on my love of OTF I think I’d love a treadmill studio like that – there must be one coming to the D.C. area, right?! I runfess that I am ~tired~ I really need some down time after this weekend, but it’s so hard to force myself to cut back.

I’m sure it will head to DC. These studios started in LA and NYC so keep an eye out. Cutting back is tough… now ramping up is tough too! 😉

2. marie wickham says:

I love your runfessions. I’m afraid mine wouldn’t be appropriate for print. 🙂 I am looking forward to seeing you NYC marathon weekend and hopefully before. I agree on the treadmill thing though I use it for speedwork. But when Wimbledon was on I really loved running while watching the matches. And I runfess that my running slump/slowness is just age.

3. I also have been in a little running slump myself. I would love to try that treadmill class did not know they had them in the DC area.

4. I can attest that RNR Races do V IP up good. I’ve experienced the Virginia beach VIP and t did not disappoint. -M

5. Erin says:

My “runfession” is that I used to turn my nose up at people who “only” ran 2-3 miles as their run workout but now I’m one of those people!

6. Kimberly G says:

I’m going to be dong the VIP experience at RnR Philly in September and I can’t wait since I’ve never done it before!

7. Amy Scott says:

Believe it or not, I kinda like running on the treadmill too. I can zone out to my favorite TV shows and it’s a nice break from the heat and humidity. I will do easy runs outside, but I did a tempo on the treadmill today and it was good. I do not recover quickly from hard runs outside- on Saturdays after my long run, I just want to veg out all day. I think you will do great at NYC… even if you haven’t officially kicked off training, you have a strong running base and 16 weeks is plenty of time considering you’ve run some half marathons lately.

Thanks Amy! Good to know I’m not the only one! Thanks for the confidence. I know I can make the distance. Not sure it’ll be pretty but I’ll get it done.

I’m so glad you have enjoyed your time with a lighter running regimen! That means you did exactly the right thing. Do what feels good. I know we’re supposed to push ourselves, but we’re also supposed to go with what feels right at any given time. Also, I’m not a runner, but I love walking on the treadmill. I look forward to it when I’m doing my weightlifting at the gym, because I can get lost in my book and the whole thing goes by in a blink. Of course I do still love outside walks, too, but there’s something to be said for the safety and ease (and no BLASTED sun) of a treadmill!

9. Amanda C. says:

I love this post!! Not the overtrained part but everything else 🙂

RnR has changed a lot over the past 7-8 years or so and so have their prices. I think they’ve gotten blow back on their prices and have adjusted accordingly. Wow NYCM. Time has flown! Thanks for linking!

11. Jeffrey says:

I guess the Chicago Half had better weather than it did when I participated…Remember it was steamy? My runfession is that I have way too many pairs of shoes, I kinda hoard them!!

It was a million times better than the year we met! Weather wise! I have too many shoes and too many running clothes, too. More runfessions there! 🙂

I runfess that I’m perfectly fine with running and training just to train and I’m not too concerned with running a bunch of races. I raced years ago and I’m OK with not being one of those amazing ladies that are running marathons when they’re 100, lol. I do like the community races that are no pressure.

13. I really dug the VIP experience as well! How will I ever go back to being just a regular runner?

14. Megan says:

I runfess that I have to cross train due to an injury and I’m sort of looking forward to doing something different for a few weeks

15. Kyle Kranz says:

I LOVE running on treadmills, once I ran 54.2 miles on one.

My runfess? I am slowing down… more to a jog and sometimes a walk but still getting there. Honestly as long as I move I feel better. I am also trying to add more weights ( small) into a workout.