Friday Five: My Fave Summer Treats

It’s Friday, so I’m linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for the new Friday Five 2.0. The theme this week is “Summer Treats.” These days, it’s easy to get what you want when you want it. When I was a kid, I remember things that we could only get in summer. Here are five of my faves from summers past and present.

My Fave Summer Treats

1. Italian Ice (a/k/a water ice). I already has my first water ice of the season when we visited Philadelphia in May. Water ice is big in Philadelphia and the Jersey Shore (especially in Southern NJ.) I’ve always been a big fan of cherry and lemon. Watermelon is also a winner, oh, and Chocolate. Basically you can’t go wrong. We have yummy fruit ices in our ‘hood at Soupbox (a/k/a Icebox in the summer months.)

2. Watermelon. This is one thing that you can now get year round that I only buy in summer. It generally tastes better in season and it calls to me. Love the stuff!

3. Summer Fruits – especially peaches. Similar to watermelon, you can now get peaches and plums all the time from somewhere. As a kid, I remember being so excited when peaches and plums were “out.” And especially when peaches were available locally. NJ is the Garden State – don’t forget! I rarely but a peach or plum out of season. The anticipation is worth it! Peaches are also awesome grilled in summer plain or over pound cake. YUM!

4. Sweet Corn. Here’s another childhood fave. Sweet corn is another crop that grows in the Garden State – really! In recent years, I’ve taken to adding it raw to salads. I love it cooked on a grill, too!

5. Iced Tea. This is not really a “treat” in the true sense of the word. That said, there’s something about a tall, cool iced tea in the summer. I recently received a beautiful set of canisters of iced tea bags from Harney & Sons. They sent me Blood Orange, Plain, Green Tea and Raspberry Herbal. I shared some with Brooke and will make up some pitchers in the weeks ahead. I’ll also tell you about an awesome tea tour that they are planning for September, so stay tuned.

What are your favorite summer treats?

Have a great weekend!

PS. Don’t miss out on my great giveaways!

1. I love all of these! Really been enjoying some peaches and cherries this season.

2. I love watermelon and the local favorite, Rainbow Cone!

3. Lauren says:

Great list! I love water ice-it was a staple growing up, and I still can’t get enough. We have more of a shaved ice thing called Snowballs here in Maryland which I love too. Also I’m watermelon obsessed-particularly on a hot day.

4. San says:

Ice-cream! Any kind! 🙂

5. Mango or watermelon-flavored water ice is my favorite! And I always say yes to ice cream!

6. Stephen Jones says:

got some cantaloupe today..white sweet corn 2!

7. Amy Scott says:

My favorite summer treat is definitely ice cream. After running in the hot weather though, I love cold orange slices or watermelon!

8. Amy C. says:

Summer fruits are the best! I’m always sad when strawberry season is over. My boys and I have been enjoying lots of smoothies. I make ahead lots of smoothie packets to keep in the freezer.

9. Jen Ha says:

slurpee is my favorite treat during summer!

10. julie says:

I love popsicles!!

11. Christopher sorel says:

Half and half or Arnie palmer my treat

12. Nicole margrif says:

Ice cream and chocolate chip cookies

13. Rachel says:

I love ALL of these treats! Except for iced tea. I can’t get on board with that. Not sure why. Maybe I should give it a try again and see if I like it better. 🙂

14. We have Rita4 Italian ice here and that always hits the spot on a warm day!
    Thanks for linking up!

15. I love fresh peaches and nectarines. Oh gosh, they have always been my favorite! Also, I’m in Iowa…so, yeah, we eat all kinds of sweet corn here.

Raw corn! YES! We used to eat it straight off the cob when we were kids. So incredibly juicy.

And my mom sent me home with five pounds of cherries today, so we’re going to buzz up a bunch tomorrow and make fruit leather. In my husband’s volcanic hot truck! Sun dried cherry leather!

17. KV says:

I like watermelon and ice cream.

18. I’ve never heard of the term “water ice” but definitely italian ice. I like shaved ice. There is a lady at the corner that sells it and I am a fan of it.

19. Susan P. says:

My favorite sweet treat is ice cream and fresh fruits on top like strawberries, blueberries or peaches.

20. stone fruits. All day. Everyday. Also, we need to do lunch or something soon!

Living in California we have access year-round to what we used to get only in the summer, growing up in the Midwest. Our country neighbors shared their sweet corn and I loved the watermelon we would get. I have a very small frig and no freezer, so that limits some of my options now but I do love the fruits, especially mangoes.

22. These would be my top treats for the boiling summer! Great list, Erica!