In These Times, We Need a Little Hygge…

It’s been a tough week to be American. The list of orders signed by our new President strikes out against refugees, immigrants, science, public broadcasting, women, arts, humanities, minority owned businesses, economic development, free trade, community organized policing, civil rights, the environment, the national parks and so much more. It’s easy to feel discouraged and to lose hope. I’ve been donating to organizations that support women’s and human rights and calling/emailing my representatives. I’ve also been doing a lot of looking at cute kid and animal pictures on Instagram and reading uplifting blog posts.

Judith started writing “I Love Lists” to make herself feel better. One of her loves this week was something I’ve been reading a lot about, the Danish concept of hygge (hoo-gah). What is hygge? The New Yorker’s Culture Desk called 2016 “The Year of Hygge, the Danish Obsession with Getting Cozy

“The Oxford Dictionaries’ 2016 “word of the year” shortlist was heavy on neologisms that one wishes didn’t have to exist: “alt-right,” “Brexiteer,” and this year’s winning term, “post-truth.” Among the finalists, though, there was one bit of solace: “hygge,” a Danish term defined as “a quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being.” Pronounced “hoo-guh,” the word is said to have no direct translation in English, though “cozy” comes close. It derives from a sixteenth-century Norwegian term, hugga, meaning “to comfort” or “to console,” which is related to the English word “hug.””

Definition via hygge.co

Many marketers (especially in the UK and Europe) have been capitalizing on the interest in hygge. Some experts in Danish culture think that a focus on hygge can help people to feel more content and in control in these trying times (source).  I’m all for this!

The Hygge Manifesto via Self Magazine adapted from Meik Wiking The Little Book of Happiness

How can you live more hygge? Here are 10 Ways to Master the Danish Art of Hygge in Your Home from Mental Floss. The Little Book of Hygge offers advice and ideas on incorporating it into your life:

• “Get comfy. Take a break.”
  • “Be here now. Turn off the phones.”
  • “Turn down the lights. Bring out the candles.”
  • “Build relationships. Spend time with your tribe.”
  • “Live life today, like there is no coffee tomorrow.”

Though icy, this natural beauty out my window lifts my spirits.

Moving forward, I’m planning to collect favorites and thing that make me smile. Don’t worry, I’ll share them. In the mean time, I will seek things out at savor the comforts I already have like the wonderful view from my window.

How will you embrace your simple comforts? Please share your ideas in the comments.

PS. Don’t forget my great giveaways!

1. Georgette Coan says:

This is actually, also, the basis of a book coming out soon . As for what I will do, I will keep reading, drinking coffee and tea, and finding good things in the world to do. We all have to stick together.

2. Judith says:

Thanks so much for sharing hygge with everyone! So glad you’re reading my lists – it’s a nice Friday routine I’ve started getting into. I think it’s very important to remember that the internet isn’t always a scary place and that there are some good stories out there as well!

3. Farrah says:

Thanks for sharing this, Erica! It’s been a pretty rough week but it does make me happy that there are so many people ready to fight for equal rights. Reading the uplifting stories has made it a little easier to maintain my faith in humanity! 😛

Hygee, Ive just heard about it and I love it already!! Thankfully I try to stay in my own bubble surrounded by things I love daily. I know I can’t do it forever but boy it sure does help sometimes!!

5. Kristen says:

I love this idea! I live in Alaska where the winters are long and dark, and everyone here loves getting cozy! We like to have weekly game nights, daytime ski excursions while the sun is out, and lots of coffee dates. That stuff really does help!

Learned something new! I’ve been working on my New Year’s resolutions for myself this month and realizing I can’t control what others think, only what I think and do, so I start with that.

7. Amanda C. says:

This is a good reminder. Thanks for posting 🙂

8. vickie couturier says:

I’m sorry but I respectfully disagree,,but I don’t argue with people over it,,everyone has a opinion and thankfully we can still express it but do it nicely

9. Susan Biddle says:

This is such a lovely post. I haven’t heard this word before however this is exactly what we all need right now. We need to connect, slow down and take time to appreciate one another and whatever we do have. This is how we create happiness. This hygge seems right in line with Taoist teachings as well imo. Thanks for sharing the good vibes.
    ~~ 1 <3 ~~

10. […] love: Thanks Erica for sharing my “I Love List” from last week and bringing more hygge to […]

11. Lauren says:

I’ve been relying more on cute animal videos and Instagrams too! I love this idea of hygge and definitely am on board! Lots of cozy clothes and warm beverages for me.