15 Reasons Why I Love the NYC Marathon

This Sunday I will toe the line at the New York City Marathon. It will be my 15th time running NYC. When I cross the finish line, I will be a “streaker” and thus will be guaranteed entry for life. Yup, that’s a thing!

marathon pics

Fun at #14 in 2013!

In honor of this personal milestone, here are 15 reasons why I love the NYC marathon.

1. The crowd – literally in the millions!
  2. The energy – it’s unbelievable.
  3. The boroughs with all of their individual character – I especially love Brooklyn!
  4. The bridges. I am a sucker for punishment!
  5. The fact that everyone is nice to you in NYC – just for one day.
  6. Many friends in the race and on the course and all of the strangers who cheer for the runners as if they were friends – really, really good friends.
  7. The swagger – like everything else NY still has attitude.
  8. The international runners – you hear so many languages, accents and cheers for nations from all over the world.
  9. The fact that you never know what you are going to see/hear on or off the course – one of my faves the Hasidic man and rapper fist bumping in Williamsburg.
  10. The silence of crossing on the 59th Street Bridge followed by the amazing roar of 59th St. that carries all the way up 1st Ave.
  11. Hundreds of inspiring athletes from Achilles and the Wounded Warrior Project to root for.
  12. You never know who you are going to see or meet. I think Tate Donovan was in my finisher pics one year pre Damages!
  13. The size and scale – it’s BIG. The millionth finisher is expected to cross in about 4:10 on Sunday.
  14. Central Park in November. Can’t wait to get there!
  15. After Sunday, I’ll be IN for life!

Thanks to all of my friends who have run with me in training over the years and listened to me talk about this (sort of) insane pursuit of 15. Thanks for all of the support and well wishes along the way. My goal for Sunday is simple: have fun and smile from Staten Island to Brooklyn to Queens to Manhattan to the Bronx and back to Manhattan. I have some time goals, but at the end of the day, I just have to get to Tavern on the Green and cross the line. Then, the NYC Marathon is open to me – for life!

My mantra will be “this is my day. this is my race.” Amen.

1. Maryann D. says:

Wow, enjoy and good luck! I love NYC also and visit at least once a year!

OK I’ve got goosebumps. Being a “lifer” is just the coolest! See you in a couple days. Eeeeeee!

3. Jen says:

Ah! Loved this post & can’t wait for this weekend together! You will be one of my many inspirations for running!

4. Pam says:

Wow that is an amazing accomplishment. Have a great race!I’m sharing this post on Twitter since we have a bunch of friends running Sunday! It will get them psyched up for the race!

Thanks, Pam! It is a great race! Tell your friends to not worry about the first 2 miles pace wise (up hill then down) and to be careful on 1st Ave. The cheers are so loud, you can get going way too fast and pay the price at the end. I love it and am so excited! 🙂

5. Karen says:

Erica – BEST OF LUCK my friend!! I will be thinking of you!! So proud!! What an amazing accomplishment!! you GO GIRL!!!!

6. good luck! I’ll be cheering you on from Chicago come Sunday!

7. Don says:

good luck!!

8. IN IT FOR LIFE! I can’t wait to run with you in the future when I get in! You know that I will be cheering you on like an elite on Sunday!

9. LOVE IT! So exciting! Can’t wait to hear about your weekend festivities! What a great accomplishment! You rock Erica!

10. So exciting!! Go, Erica!!! If you see Desi, cheer really loudly. She’s my favorite!!

11. Liz says:

Gooooooooo, Erica!!!! Loved this post!

12. What a great list– I’ve got goosebumps for you! Good luck to you!!!

13. Allison says:

This will be awesome. Have so much fun!!

14. Linda says:

Best of luck, Erica!! So excited for you to reach this goal! And what a list you put together… I can especially get behind #2 and #5. HAVE FUN!!!

15. Elaine Agran says:

Michael and I are sooooo proud of you! I love your goals to have fun and smile. You’ll hear us cheering all the way from Los Angeles.

16. Pete B says:

I wish I could be there! Truly the greatest race ever. Rooting you on from Chicago! Have a blast!

17. Good luck, Erika! Have fun!

18. That’s so amazing! I didn’t know they had that option of entry for life. I am running this year, it’s my first marathon. Any last minute advice for this course?

19. Libbie Agran says:

We are so proud of you and will be rooting for you via computer this year.
    Much love,
    Libbie and Guy

20. Sara says:

So awesome to be a “lifer”! I will be cheering for you from Chicago! Good luck & have fun!

21. kilax says:

#6 is so true! What a great list! I am happy you get to be a streaker now! That is still my fave marathon, and I have only run it once. Have a great race!