You may remember a post I wrote last year about a 7 minute workout touted as a replacement of the traditional recommended high intensity exercise allotment by the CDC. This article from last year’s May-June issue of the American College of Sports Medicine’s Health & Fitness Journal mentioned in the NY Times, proposed a 7 minute exercise solution. Why am I telling you this again? Because now there is an awesome app to guide you and it’s FREE!
The Human Performance Institute proposed in the study High Intensity Circuit Training: Maximum Results With Minimal Investment that 12 exercises using only body weight, a chair and a wall, can fulfill the CDC guidelines for high-intensity effort. They recommend doing these exercises each 15-20 times (or for 30 to 45 seconds) with 30 seconds or less of rest in between for the best results. They say that this “essentially combines a long run and a visit to the weight room into about seven minutes of steady discomfort — all of it based on science.” On second look, they propose doing this seven minute circuit two to three times if time allows. Still pretty decent – right?
The originator of this workout and fitness experts from Johnson & Johnson have introduced the Official 7 Minute Workout App! This FREE app guides you through the “fast, simple and scientifically proven body-weight workout.” All you need is a wall, a chair, and a little bit of floor space. It is perfect for home work outs or wherever you are! In addition to the 12 exercises, you can also do “Smart Workouts” which combine additional exercises based on your current level of fitness. They also have video guides to each exercise, multiple effort levels, the ability to listen to your itunes library during your workout and much more! The app is free and is currently available for Android, iOS 6, iOS7, iPhone and iPad.
I have been doing the 7 minute workout every day for a week and just added a 7 minute “smart workout” after I read my old post! I really like it and love the fact that I can do it at the gym or home or wherever. I get my heart rate up a bit and do some strengthening I may not otherwise spend time on.
Between this and Hot5, my iPhone is turning into quite the personal trainer!
Zooma Women’s Race Series has a fun Mother’s Day contest going on via Facebook. You can nominate the deserving “mother runner” in your life to win some post-race pampering + cool prizes from Oiselle and Scott James Sport Jewelry or cast a vote for Finds’ friend Jen. Contest ends 5/23.
It’s Friday, so you know the drill… here are some great deals that I found:
- Get $35 credit on your first booking with Travel Pony if you sign up with this link.
- BOGO free on 12 Earnest Eats Bars (wheat free/vegan/all natural) at Vegan Cuts save $21. Ends 5/24.
- Instacart is now available in Los Angeles (in addition to San Francisco Bay Area, New York City, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C. and Philadelphia!) Get groceries delivered in one hour and $10 off first order + free delivery.
- Spring Sales Event – 4 Days Only! 20% OFF May 15 – May 18th at Juice Beauty with Promo Code SPRINGSALE. Expires 5/18/14. Excludes all Exclusive Gift Sets, Travel Sets, Bridal Gift Sets, Hair Care duos, Pre-order products, eGift Cards and Subscriptions.
- Get 20% off your entire purchase at Beauty.com’s “Friends & Family” sale!
- From Brad’s Deals: “As an exclusive for our readers, get these Monster iBeats by Dre with Remote & Mic in White or Black for $48.99 using the code BRADD3OFF at iTechDeals.com. Plus, the shipping is free.”
- Save an EXTRA 20-30% at Derailed’s Memorial Day Sale! Valid through May 21, 2014.
- 30 Day Free Trial from Daily Burn for Pre and Post-Natal Yoga. No matter where you are, you can get access to your DailyBurn workouts – all you need is an internet connection. You can watch your workouts on your computer, iPad®, iPhone®, Android®, Roku®, TV, and more. It’s easy to get access at your house, at the gym, or on the road – you are never without your DailyBurn workouts.
- You know I love giveaways! Check out Whole Mom’s Zavida Coffee for a Year (and 5 runner up gifts) giveaway and their $500 Whole Foods gift card giveaway
- Check out awesome deals on athletic gear and trips from The Clymb. Act fast deals are up for a limited time. Start with Active Junky to get an additional 8% cash back. Many more offers at Active Junky
- Gilt City has great deals in Chicago, NYC, LA and more. Get $40 for $20 at Tiny Prints. 30% off $100 at Estee Lauder (free) and 50% off Fresh Diet and Jeans Bar. Start with ebates for additional cash back. (Get $30 off $80 at Bobbi Brown Cosmetics FREE)
- Get 50% off your first outfit at Fabletics.
- Save 40% on awesome portable coconut water products from Cocogo with code ERICAFINDS.
That’s all I have for now! We are running for the hills this weekend to hopefully find spring again! What are you up to?